If you live in the Mentor, OH area, you’re probably like a lot of people who are looking for ways, both large and small, to save money on heating your home. Geothermal heat pumps are a terrific way to take advantage of renewable energy. However, many of our customers in Mentor, OH have been asking about the pros and cons of geothermal systems. We thought it would be beneficial if we put together a comparison of pros and cons about geothermal systems.
How Geothermal Systems Work
While geothermal systems are gaining popularity, there are some people who aren’t quite sure how they work. Here is a basic overview of geothermal systems.
- Renewable energy – If you were to dig down about 10 feet into the ground, the temperature there would be around 55° F. It stays this temperature all year long—no matter what the temperature of the air is above it.
- Ground loop – Using a series of coils buried in the ground, geothermal systems take advantage of that temperature consistency. In heating mode, a heat pump in your home circulates refrigerant through the coils in the ground to absorb heat. The heat is delivered to the heat pump and transferred to the air using a heat exchanger. In cooling mode, the process is reversed.
- Doesn’t burn fuel – One of the main benefits to geothermal systems is that they don’t have to burn any fuel to heat your home. Instead, they just move heat from the ground into your home.
- Uses free, unlimited, renewable energy – By taking advantage of energy stored in the ground, geothermal systems use clean, free and renewable energy that will never run out.
- No pollution – By using clean energy, your geothermal system doesn’t create any pollution.
- Durable – Geothermal systems are known to be durable and have a long life.
- Reduced efficiency – In extreme temperatures, in order to keep up with heating demand, geothermal heat pumps will actually consume more energy.
- Initial cost – While geothermal systems have the potential to save you money on heating and cooling your home, they typically cost more to install than other, more traditional systems.
If you’re interested in having a geothermal system installed at your Mentor, OH home, contact the experts at Apple Heating. Our knowledgeable and friendly staff will be able to answer any questions you might have. We would love to schedule a time to come out to your home to see if geothermal is a good option for you.